VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,469Gear list
Like?
Lucy, the camera wasn't in AUTO
In reply to 30Cedar, Jan 17, 2013

30Cedar wrote:

Great shot.

Thanks, Lucy

I took the plunge and purchased an SX50 last weekend, but have been at work all week so haven't had the time to play. I was going to ask what settings you use in a situation where you grab the camera for a quick photo, as I thought you might have pre-set some custom settings, but I see that you were just on Auto!

Very excited to start getting out with mine soon!

No, sorry for the misconception. I was joking that my body was on AUTO, not the camera. I have not taken a single shot in AUTO yet, but I will be getting to that.

In this case the camera was in MY default settings, which i ISO 80, IS on continuous, Tv mode set to 1/500th second with Safety Shift turned on (thus the speed indicated in the EXIF), evaluative metering, EC set to -1/3, DRC set to AUTO for highlights only (shadows turned OFF), and in single shot mode. I find that for quick shots in all but dim light, this works fine for all focal lengths in most cases. When I am placing the camera in its case, I always make sure it's in these settings so that if I have to pull it out quickly, I know what all my starting points are without looking.

With practice, you of course will find what works for you.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow