VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?
Lucy, the camera wasn't in AUTO
In reply to 30Cedar, Jan 17, 2013

30Cedar wrote:

Great shot.

Thanks, Lucy

I took the plunge and purchased an SX50 last weekend, but have been at work all week so haven't had the time to play. I was going to ask what settings you use in a situation where you grab the camera for a quick photo, as I thought you might have pre-set some custom settings, but I see that you were just on Auto!

Very excited to start getting out with mine soon!

No, sorry for the misconception. I was joking that my body was on AUTO, not the camera. I have not taken a single shot in AUTO yet, but I will be getting to that.

In this case the camera was in MY default settings, which i ISO 80, IS on continuous, Tv mode set to 1/500th second with Safety Shift turned on (thus the speed indicated in the EXIF), evaluative metering, EC set to -1/3, DRC set to AUTO for highlights only (shadows turned OFF), and in single shot mode. I find that for quick shots in all but dim light, this works fine for all focal lengths in most cases. When I am placing the camera in its case, I always make sure it's in these settings so that if I have to pull it out quickly, I know what all my starting points are without looking.

With practice, you of course will find what works for you.

Vision

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow