Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854Gear list
Like?
Re: Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
In reply to SimonOL, Jan 17, 2013

SimonOL wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Edge softening is usually not an issue - as long as there is a subject in the center.

Cheers,
Henry

I guess you've got to be looking for issues in the corners to notice.

Corners don't look bad at all at f/8.

Actually, the extreme corners of the SEL16F28 are bad at every aperture, and just gets somewhat less bad at f/8. It probably gets even less bad at f/9, but by that time you've crested the resolution peak of the center (f/5.6) for so long that everything is else is on a downward trajectory.

See extreme upper left corner vs. extreme left edge. Certainly not a focus issue if I can also get both my friend and the domes/Half-Dome in the background in focus.

With FCL-ECU1 UWA converter.

The thing is, it's the extreme corners. Nobody deliberately places anything of worth there unless you're a terrible photographer (few exception exist, one of which is shooting architectural lines w/UWA) or the sort of lens critic that refuses to acknowledge that this is a 1) relatively fast, 2) inexpensive, 3) wide-angle 4) pancake lens with 5) a lot of versatility given the terrific FCL-ECU1/ECF1 adapters.

It has issues, for sure, both corner smearing and chromatic aberration. But it also has a lot of other strengths that make up for it. If you're the sort of person who wants something just to point at it and feel that it is good (so that you feel better about your own "standards" and fantasize about how well you can potentially shoot)... then the SEL16F28 is probably not for you. But if you're the sort that can take an imperfect tool and work around its pecadillos, you can get some great results with the SEL16F28.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow