Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ssscomp
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
mackbook and thunderbolt screen
Jan 17, 2013

So, here's the situation.I have gotten back into photography as a hobby in a rather strong fashion. I have an older iMac and am currently using Aperture three, Photoshop elements and I am considering getting light room though I am not yet certain about that. I just saw a one-hour tutorial on the net from Kirby (the guy who writes all the books on Photoshop and Aperture etc.) and what impressed me beyond his technical ability was the speed with which he was making changes to the photos using his MacBook. That wasn't the subject of the tutorial but he was switching back and forth between programs, adding adjustments, adding layers all extremely quickly. I will never have his talent, ability or intensity but it is clear that my computer is slowing down my work and thought process. I have a large thunderbolt screen so a MacBook would work well for me. It just so happens that my son is one of the engineers at Apple who has worked on the development of the iPhone, behind locked doors, secret and all that stuff. I called him and said "hey, Paul, can you call the aperture guy who works on the aperture program and asked him what I really should have any MacBook Pro in order to speed up my photographic manipulation in these programs?" He got back to me and suggested that I check on a forum such as this noting "who would you rather have teach you to drive? Marielle Andretti or the guy who built his car?"

So ladies and gentlemen, you are Mariano Andretti. I want to get a MacBook Pro that will truly let me operated quick speeds but I don't want to go crazy. I'm not particularly worried about the difference between something taking 4.8 seconds and 5.1 seconds but I am concerned about the difference between something taking six seconds and 42 seconds. I want to buy a really good unit but I don't want to buy more than I need. Hence the question and I know it's been asked before, which MacBook Pro would be the best bet and with what internal components? I know there is always a difference of opinion on these things and that is what I truly love about forums. I would love to hear back from those of you who have a great deal more experience than I do.

Thank you

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow