How many photons are in when the cmos is full?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
hjulenissen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,604
Like?
Re: About 13000 times the area of the sensel in microns squared
In reply to Steen Bay, Jan 17, 2013

Steen Bay wrote:

2.75 stops, that sounds quite reasonable. Think that's close to estimates I've heard before. So maybe, 20 or 50 years from now, cameras will perform about the same at ISO 640 as they do at ISO 100 today. Or maybe not, we'll see. Well, I probably won't, but some of the younger folks here will

Just like creative physics allows for "faster-than-light travel" (by curving space?), I think that we should allow for some creativity when estimating the limits of photography for all future. Perhaps we are only 2.75 stops away from the physical limits for a flat sensor counting the photons hitting it, projected from a given lense with a given exposure time. Who says that the sensor has to be flat? Could it not deform in an adaptive manner? Could not the 2-d camera sensor be replaced by a 3-d "sensor cube" that counted photons, counting each photon where it made the most sense?

If exposure time could be increased (perhaps on a per-pixel basis, perhaps using some optimal motion-tracking/stabilization), and effective aperture could be increased (perhaps on a per-pixel basis), I am guessing that raw files could offer significantly improved quality from what we have today for many scenes/photographer intents. And that is even without assuming huge leaps in noise-reduction.

What about infra-red (ultra-violet) "support-channels", passive or active lighted? What kind of information can be had from estimating the wavelength of each photon individually (instead or classifying it into only "red", "green" or "blue")?

-h

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow