If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Re: If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 17, 2013

dirkluchtman wrote:

I have lived in Alberta, Canada since September 2009, but will leave Canada for Europe summer this year, permanently. In those 4 years, I've had the privilege of acquiring some Canon gear, including a 5D Mark II, 70-200 F4 IS and a Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. I bought all of this while knowing I would have to sell it all when I leave 4 years later, because Canon Canada does not cover repairs and warranty in Europe. I have no regrets though, because the gear allowed me to photograph the beautiful scenery here with near-maximum quality (which is exactly what I wanted). I was never good at saving money.....

So, in a while, I will have to throw my hard-earned cash at the European camera gear market and decide to either stay with Canon or go to Nikon. I am itching toward Nikon, simply due to the increased dynamic range (i shoot pretty much only landscapes and need a wide dynamic range), but unfortunately, the perfect camera does not exist. It has to be a full frame camera.

- Nikon D600: perfect sensor performance (great compromise of resolution, dynamic range and low-light performance), but cheap body (and terrible grip), and sensor dust issues. If only it had a D700 style body (I would go for it immediately).

- Nikon D800: great sensor performance and body, but perhaps resolution overkill (large files, sharpness issues). Potentially significant issues with left-autofocus points, green cast on LCD display and kinda sluggish performance. If you check amazon.com customer reviews, you can see that a lot of people are having issues with this camera (also the D600).

- Canon 5D III: perfect in every sense (although I would welcome slightly higher resolution) except inferior sensor performance (quantitively at least, but dynamic range tests show the inferiority to Nikon full frame sensors dramatically).

- Canon 6D: not a pro-body and too functionally compromised for the price.

The Nikon D800 would probably be my choice. I would risk having to return my camera multiple times to get an issue-free one and hope that Nikon will release an improved version later on.

What would you do if you could start from scratch?

Context: I've shot and owned Canon 5D, 5d2, Nikon D3x, D700. Shoot with Phase One and Hassy too, but never owned either. Since getting the D800, I feel no need for the Phase One rentals anymore.

I currently own D800 and D600. My D800 had the infamous focusing issues. Only very recently (truly) fixed by Nikon. I haven't heard of any new D800's having the issues you've read so much about. My D800 LCD doesn't have a green cast.

My D600 has never had the dust / oil etc issues.

Now that the price has dropped on the 5d3, I think it's a fine camera. And refurb 5d2's are a good deal imo. In addition to fashion & portrait work, I do a lot of "low key" and B&W work and in this arena especially, the Nikon sensors are way better than Canon's current tech. I'm talking about shadow quality, resolution, DR, etc. The Hi iso performance is great, but not something I personally need.

So what would I do from scratch? First and foremost, I would invest less $$$. I have too much invested (Nikon 200 f2, Zeiss lenses, etc). ROI ! I would buy a D600 and the Nikon 28, 50, 85 f1.8's and a 70-200, 1.7TC...done.  Well, maybe the Samyang 24 TS too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow