X-E1 and OMD

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 343
Like?
Re: Tried X-E1, chose OMD
In reply to pertgate01, Jan 17, 2013

pertgate01 wrote:

I made the same move. I used the Fuji X-E1 for a total of 5 weeks. When I first used the fuji x-e1, I was blown away by its high ISO performance. However, it really lacked in the AF department. It was very frustrating to use because of the sluggish AF and I started zone focusing. Indoors, I had to start manual focusing because it just wouldn't lock focus, even on high contrast areas. I was ready to accept it for what it was, but knowing in the back of my head that I would have to upgrade the body in a year or so.

That was until I drove over to the Samys in LA to purchase a new camera/laptop bag. I was looking at the camera bags and walked over to take a look at the black Fuji x-e1 since I had never seen it in black. That was when I saw and handled the Olympus OMD for the first time. I noticed that it was noticeably smaller than the Fuji X-E1 but had much more "heft". I wouldn't say it felt heavier, but that it felt more "expensive"--I liked that.

When I started using it, what I loved was how responsive it felt. The difference between the fuji and olympus' handling were like day and night. It was crazy! Also, for street shooting, this was LIGHTYEARS ahead in useful features. Tap to capture feature (Touchscreen) and swivel screen are SO useful. I could literally walk up and stand 3 feet away from someone, looking down on the screen, take a picture of them, and act like I am just reviewing my pictures.

Also, there are so many lens options for the micro four thirds, often with redundancies as well. An example is that you have three choices of prime around the 35mm FL (Oly 17mm f1.8, Oly 17mm f2.8, Panasonic 20mm) to accomodate different budgets. I purchased the Olympus 75mm f1.8 to go with my Panasonic 25mm, and they are GOREGEOUS lenses.

I am so infatuated by this system right now. In real world use, the most I will bump up the ISO is up to ISO 5000. With the Fuji I was comfortable with up to ISO 6400. That small difference is negligible to me because it does not outweigh what I gain in usability in almost EVERY other aspect.

I will maybe add the x100s when it is 1 year into production and there is a discount of some sort. I love Fuji and they are doing good things with their system. But as of right now, I would not use the Fuji as my only system. If you DO decide to keep it as your only system, you will have to wait a year or two to get some more useful lenses on top of the 35mm and 18-5mm kit lens.

In the end, purchasing the Fuji NOW just didn't make sense. The system isn't quite there yet. The Olympus has everything now and does it extremely well. I will try the Fuji X system again in two to three years when I will want to upgrade cameras.

Very well said.

I sold my XE1 today and will invest the money in the 35-100 f2.8 for my OMD. Unfortunately the Fuji was too limiting for the way I shoot, but the OMD will take on pretty much anything you throw at it. And oh the u4/3 lenses ..... simply glorious.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow