I have been wanting something like this for ages (wide angle converter that's behind the lens)

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,939Gear list
Like?
How much is a lens that's a stop faster?
In reply to BobORama, Jan 17, 2013

BobORama wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

I've been talking about something like this for years... even through together some optical designs to make it work, none of which left the drawing boards but this was the intended result with a few very minor differences

Were you the one arguing with me that it was impossible because of patents and so on? Because if you were "In your face!"

It wasn't really an argument, because that implies rationality. I corrected some of your more glaring misconceptions, and you fired off a stream of insults, at which point I concluded you were not capable of conducting a civil discussion.

To repeat: the Kodak patent is for a focal reducer that maintains the back focus of the original lens in order to clear an SLR mirror. Brian Caldwell's "speed booster" does not maintain the same back focus as the original lens, and is therefore, unencumbered by the Kodak patent.

Anyway, based on the $500 MSRP, you might reconsider making own in your garage. For that matter, with $500 you can buy a decent lens that is 0.7x the FL to begin with.

And will it be a full stop faster? Put an 85mm f1.4 on one of these, and you get a 60mm f1.0. A 50mm f1.4 becomes a 35mm f1.0.  So, when you talk of the lenses that "you can buy", remember that there are things you can't buy, like Pentax mount f1.0 lenses.

It's not just the f1.0 lenses, either. There's the 13mm f2.0 (common 20mm f2.8).  I could go on, but I trust I've made my point.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow