X-Pro1 JPEG vs RAW

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,885Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you mean this one Randy?
In reply to Ryan Williams, Jan 17, 2013

I think part of the issue really stems from the sign being out of focus, and the interpretation of that blurred edge on very contrasty lettering

Are we expecting it to be sharp - when really it's not - there's a blur to the edge of the lettering caused by it being OOF

If you look at the Porsche SUV driving under the street sign - you can see how OOF the rear badge is - and this badge is closer to the camera than the street sign

Shutter speed is high, so speed blur should not be a factor at 1/450

Now looking at the front of the streetcar, where the image is focussed - we can see that all lettering looks crisp and in focus - even when viewed at high magnifications like 200%

I think there's an expectation that the street sign should be sharper than it really is - and that's causing some of the concern.

When I review in-focus images of signage, I'm not seeing an issue on my shots.

All part of the mix - YMMV - but again, we're looking at minute details on one questionable image.

Does the high DR setting on camera impact this file? - no idea - I don't use the DR settings on the X-Pro1 - some are suggesting that this causes issues in RAW post processing

Lots of moving parts

It really comes down to this:

Are you looking for problems, or solutions?

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow