Before I pull the trigger on a new lens....

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cartagena Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: Before I pull the trigger on a new lens....
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Jan 17, 2013

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Thanks for agreeing with me Gary. I just want to emphasize how useful corner sharpness is to some people: my photo club friend bought his Christmas Boxing Day deal D600 and 24-85, we did some low light test as well as regular good light tripod test. It was night and day difference between Zeiss and cheap Nikon consumer 24-85 lens in corner. (even my RX100 did better job than that lens) Seeing the result my friend sold off his "free" lens and got a proper Nikon 24-70. I will test his new lens one day but I doubt if any standard zoom lens can be better than Zeiss 24-70.

HI. Yes below 50 mm the Zeiss is fine especially at 24 mm. But from 50-70mm only the center of the frame are ok sharp (on FF) and that even from ie. f8-f13. I sold mine because of this. This makes it completely useless as a landscape lens from 50 and up. I really don't understand why some calls this lens the best. Because it simply are not. And on APS-C it's not an ideal range. it's simply not wide enough!

Kind regards David.

-- hide signature --

Echinacea purpurea

Cartagena Photo's gear list:Cartagena Photo's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 20mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Bridge CS6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow