ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,805
Like?
Image stacking
Jan 17, 2013

With grateful thanks to Stephen Ingraham for his guidance here: Quote: -

‘Set the camera for Scene Mode on the control dial (SCN). Press Function and set it to High Speed Burst HQ. Before you press Function again, scroll down to the Continuous Shooting setting. Set it for AF Continuous. In good light that will give you 4.4 fps with focus and viewing between frames. You get up to 10 shots, and then the internal memory dumps to card.’

With this in mind I thought to have a play with ‘image stacking.’ I can do this in my favourite piece of photo enhancing software Oloneo PhotoEngine. The purpose was to create one image from the ten which can dramatically clean up the image noise as it is a fact that that the method described by Stephen does ‘up’ the ISO.

The result then from the tightest of crops is – putting it mildly – quite staggering.

I think what needs to be considered these days are not just the ability of your camera of choice, but also the fantastic advances in the capabilities of image processing software.

The vantage point for the following shots which were taken with the Canon SX50HS

The Canon SX50HS has amazing image stabilisation! The image reproduced below is an image stack of 10 hand-held shots.

Image stacking can improve the final result when the ISO is raised.  That will be evident in the following shots.

10 images stacked in Oloneo PhotoEngine shows a distinctly 'cleaner' image than the one following next.

Taken from a single shot, the tight crop reveals more of the jpeg imperfections.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow