Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
AltLens
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro
In reply to cajuncc, Jan 17, 2013

cajuncc wrote:

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

Mas has nothing to do with it - moving 1.2tb of data takes a lot of time.

Serial numbers isn't a PC thing - I bought a full copy of LR 2, then upgrade to 3 then to 4. LR is now at 4.3 and upgrade are downloaded. TO make any install work you need to enter your serial number and if you done this with adobe stuff you know you need to find the original package - the SN that comes in the help/about box is missing 4 digits.

Installing software is no faster on a mac than a PC AFAIK.

And any new machine can be bad. I've bought many computers over the years but this is the first one bad out of the box - and if i had not installed another HD I'd never have known - so you may have bad computer and not know it.

If I bought a brand new Mac, brought it home, and had a problem, I'd drive it back to the Apple Store, they'd give me a new machine, and i'd be back in business the same day. No phone tag, no warranty mess, nothing. If it's outside the exchange window, I take it in, they fix it and give it back a few days later. I don't touch computer hardware anymore. My time is worth more than that.

All my Adobe serial numbers are available from their website if I log in an view my past purchases. If I'm migrating from an old mac, the software comes over already activated and I don't have to do anything with it.

Moving 1.2TB of data does indeed take a lot of time, but with a gigabit network or Wireless-N, it should be done overnight. Although I'd probably suggest that if you have 1.2TB of working data on your computer, you might want to refine your workflow a little bit. I tend to only keep current work on my computer's main drive and keep my back catalog on a USB 3 external drive. (in addition to backups) It's plenty fast to work on and I can just plug into another computer if i need to.

I dunno. Like I said, I really don't want to make this about Mac vs PC, but having reliable, relatively maintenance-free equipment is a godsend. Especially when you're using it for unbillable work. In my (fairly extensive) experience, a Mac pays for itself many times over.

I'm thinking of coughing up the bucks and making the switch to Mac.  I switched to an iPhone recently and like it, and bought my wife the latest iPad for Christmas and she likes it.  It's just that for the price of an appropriate Mac I can build an AWESOME PC.  Windows and app installs are such second nature to me that I don't even think about it, so much so that every year I save my stuff, format my drive, and do clean installs of everything.  I'm always amazed at what I don't put back on each time.  But yeah, Mac's are sounding better and better, and what you're saying about the apps is compelling.  I did not know this.  Thanks for the input.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow