RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One and ACR

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One, ACR, and OOC JPEGs
In reply to Trevor G, Jan 17, 2013

I can't say I think SilkyPix is as bad as rattymouse does. Having been using Photoshop and more recently Lightroom for many years I very much value their quality, and SilkyPix most certainly is some steps down as far as usability and speed go.

With that said, it is possible to accomplish manipulations in SilkyPix with relatively little pain. Its sliders are more or less consistent with Lightroom's, and it does have a basic 'thumbnails along the bottom, working photo on top' layout just like Lightroom. If all you're doing is zipping through your RAW files, doing basic adjustments, and saving out it's not a bad process at all. Maybe the software is a little ugly, but let's not be typically superficial photographers too much here.

I can't say that it's any less convenient or usable than the click-fest required to adjust RAW settings via the in-camera processor. SilkyPix is a slow processor in that it takes my powerful computer some time to reflect changes in the viewing area, but at least it does them in real time — the in-camera one will only show your changes when you tell it to build a new JPEG, and it takes quite some seconds to do so. This is a whole world of pain when processing hundreds or even dozens of even images.

As it is, choosing between the in-camera processor and SilkyPix is more or less a case of choosing between s**t and s**te. Neither are particularly optimal, and both can be used to apply basic corrections prior to taking a JPEG (or if via SilkyPix, TIFF) into Lightroom for the fun stuff. However SilkyPix does one advantage: it's on your computer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow