RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One and ACR

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ryan Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Re: RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One, ACR, and OOC JPEGs
In reply to John Carson, Jan 17, 2013

There's no doubt that SilkyPix is the best RAW converter for X-Trans right now. I've done significant experimentation with Capture One, Lightroom, and SilkyPix now — and the latter wins every time.

Of course you can get results more or less on par with SilkyPix using the in-camera processor, but you sacrifice the things RAW is good for if you do that. Personal choice.

One thing I feel is worth highlighting is that the version of SilkyPix provided by Fuji on their site defaults to a colour profile that is exceedingly similar (but quite the same as) Provia, whereas if you go and download SilkyPix 5 via SilkyPix's website it renders images with a completely different tonality.

It's possible to get SilkyPix 5 to render them the same way, you just have to find the colour mode thing and select 'V4 compatibility' or something like that. Then the default colour profile will be the Provia-esque one.

When using the colour profile Fuji use, the results are so similiar to Provia it can't be coincidental and I suspect SilkyPix worked directly with Fuji to achieve this result (whether it was cross-developed or simply agreed that the colour profiles would match up when using X-Trans RAW files).

Something to bear in mind for those going the SilkyPix route.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow