Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
motomanDK
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to Gary Dean Mercer Clark, Jan 17, 2013

I had convinced myself not to be involved in this thread... (more than i already is). But ......... 

I have a small business selling astronomical cameras for amateurs in the nordic region.  I sell a lot of cameras for planetary use - Jupiter is very popular right now - and i have cameras with excactly the same sensor in either monocrome or color - the only difference is the bayer layer over the photosites.  The electronics is exactly the same.  The data is transfered to the software in exactly the same way and even the color pictures are shown as monocrome.  Then the user can choose to run a choise of de-bayering algoritms of his/her choise to get the color picture.

I sell by far the most of the monocrome cameras.  Color cameras are only sold to beginners.  When i ask the customers why they prefer the mono version, they always state that the level of details is MUCH higher in the monocrome pictures.  I have a very skilled customer that compare a 440K monopicture to the detail level of a 1.3Mpix color camera and actually choose the 440K camera over the 1.3Mpix for that reason.

In this example i will state that it is the same as comparing Foveon (as mono) to Bayer (color) cameras.  I would definitely expect the level of detail to be ATLEAST the same on a 15Mbit Foveon as a 30Mbit Bayer.  But what do i know ........ 

-- hide signature --

/Henrik - Denmark
(SD14 and SD15 ... and about 5 kg glass)

motomanDK's gear list:motomanDK's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow