new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 3,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma needs better planning
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Jan 17, 2013

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I've a 1Div and it's very good, but it's not perfect. The AF is, it would appear, not as accurate as that of the latest cameras. Also, the body is heavy. Compared to Joger's 5Dii, though, it has the advantage that all the AF points appear to be equally accurate. Also, it's waterproof, so if you are using a lens which isn't, you need only put plastic around the lens.

I've had an Olympus E3 system (had E1) which I keep in my holiday house. This system, potentially, was very promising. It was a lot lighter and smaller than FF but was let down by sensors not as good as those in e.g. the NEX-7 (I have one) and also by completely useless continuous AF.

The obsession with FF (I include the 1Div in this, though I know it's 1.3x) is I think becoming outdated. Anyone who sees some of the fabulous shots you can get with a NEX-7 will ask himself the question, do I really need all that weight?).

A weatherproof professional faster version of the 7d with the option of using the big lenses, or smaller lighter lenses with less reach, would be a very attractive option for me.

I understand what you mean. I have been considering splitting my gear. I really love the Fuji X system and am thinking about trading in my 17-55 EF-S for an X-Pro1 or X-E1 with a few primes. I would use it for the ultra-wide to short tele range and keep my DSLR for birding/wildlife.

Sensor size is not that important to me, but performance is. I am enjoying BiF photography more and more. Although I'm still learning, I feel it requires good gear (reach, AF tracking, high fps) as well as a lot of patience and practice. That's why the 1DmkIV might be interesting if the 7DmkII is not a step up. But I'm really hoping it will be.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow