Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,008
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to RonJG, Jan 17, 2013

RonJG wrote:

Maybe I should do this in pictures. You guys are simply not getting what I've said.

If I take the Nikon D800E images down to the same level of magnification as the SD1M images, the Nikon images, already cuttingly sharp, are even sharper and more detailed.

If I go the other way, and uprez the SD1M images to match the same screen size magnification as the Nikon images, the Sigma images lose detail significantly.

Someone here recently suggested I process the SD1M images to double size in SPP to try to equalise the output. Tried that and was very disappointed with the result.

There is no AA filter on the Nikon D800E by the way.

I don't understand what you mean by "taking an image down to the same magnification". A digital image has no size, only a resolution in pixels (which may be blurred because of Bayer and/or anti-aliasing).

Any scaling algorithm that changes the number of pixels will cause some blurring. So this should be done only once, at the print stage.

If you want to compare two cameras, the practical way is to make large prints of the same size. If you want to compare just the sensors, the pictures should be taken with the identical lens (for instance, using a Nikon lens with an adapter on an SD1).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow