Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 17,300Gear list
Like?
Not really possible
In reply to petr marek, Jan 17, 2013

petr marek wrote:

<..>> I prefer to buy high quality lenses ones and then change the body with every major improvement of sensor or hardware. Evolution in digital world is pretty fast, so why pay for the same lenses again?

Because lenses evolve too, and the lenses you buy yesterday simply are not as good as modern lenses.  Some older lenses can at times be as sharp but even then do not have the coatings that reduce CA or flare.  The DP-2 original lens was a masterpiece, but would not have held up on the Merrill.  The older wide angle lenses might have been superb but none of them were built for a sensor that wanted light to come in at similar angles across the field of view.

Any lens you buy will degrade in usability and performance over time compared to modern equivalents.

In other words, compact mirrorless system would be a wise desicion, showing respect to high quality lenses.

Carrying forward the sins of the past into the future is water carried by every other camera company.  Why should there not be at least one company that tries a different path?

The compact mirror-less systems make even less sense to me because then you are giving yourself a very small limit on the sensor size for any future system you are considering.  If you are really buying lenses for the long haul I don't know that I would really consider anything short of a medium format lens suitable.  All other lenses are more transitory.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow