Panasonic gx1 or Olympus E-PL5? Backup to OMD

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
daveco2
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Re: Panasonic gx1 or Olympus E-PL5? Backup to OMD
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Jan 17, 2013

I've been taking smaller backup cameras on my "once only" trips for years, but never had to use them as such.  In the case of my EM5, I took an XZ-1 as backup to Mongolia last summer.  Although the EM5 is a lot smaller and lighter than my DSLR, it's still bigger and heavier than the pocketable XZ-1, which I wound up carrying most of the time.  It's a great little camera and the images are excellent according to my non-pixel peeping eyes.  It also does great in-camera panoramas, a feature I use often in the mountains.

For me, the big tradeoff for a backup is that it could hold one of my favorite lenses, and then I wouldn't have to fumble around with changing lenses in some adverse conditions.  Even in good conditions, I still don't like the idea of exposing the insides of the camera.  That's why I'm also considering the E-PL5 to replace the XZ-1 as my backup.

The M43 Rumor site mentioned a new Olympus camera coming out toward the end of this month.  It may only be a rumor, who knows, but I think it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to find out.  I'm hoping for an EPL-5-like body with viewfinder.  If not, then I'll go with the E-PL5.

I haven't looked at other brands for backup because I like to use an intervalometer which has a special connection through the accessory port that has worked on all Olympus cameras I've used so far.  The other more subjective reason is that I want to stay with all Olympus gear for compatibility.  The only exception is a all/light 20 mm f1.7 Panasonic lens that I carry for special occasions.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow