Do you prefer using a thumbrest with your X100?

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Charlesn
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: I have the Thumbs Up, but...
In reply to Anthony_in_SF, Jan 17, 2013

I bought the Thumbs Up EP-55 when it first came out and was the only thumbrest available for the X100. After comparing it recently against a friend's Lensmate, I'd say the Thumbs Up is better in its execution of the small details: fit to the camera, angle of the rest to your thumb, etc. We're talking shades of difference here, but things that matter, so I could justify a small premium in price... except that the Thumbs Up costs roughly 2.5 times as much as the Lensmate. At about $120 for the shorter version, and $125 for the longer one, I actually find the pricing of the Thumbs Up to be offensive. And it's not just outrageously priced compared to Lensmate... take a look at the wonderful custom-machined aluminum grips that Richard Franiec designs for specific cameras. I have the ones for the Leica D-Lux 4 and the Canon S95, and they only cost about $35 each.

It's a shame, too, because I've dealt with the guy who I believe owns Match Technical, which makes the Thumbs Up, and he seemed really great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow