Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Re: Thank you
In reply to barb_s, Jan 17, 2013

barb_s wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

barb_s wrote:

Tim, to clarify - they didn't implement anything (yet). The example here is what was available when the proposal in that link came out. Nothing is new.

-- hide signature --

Barb

Well if this weren't confusing enough, now we have a confusing sequence of posts.

So are you saying the histogram in the example from a recent challenge you just posted, which shows a histogram of a voters vote spread in a challenge was available to hosts 10 mo ago when dpr proposed to "Add the ability for a host to see a voter's vote spread (histogram), ..." That quote is from the proposal from 10 mo ago in RaptorUK's link. In other words 10 mo ago dpr proposed to do something that already existed at that time. I am probably missing the obvious, and please forgive me for that.

Tim

Sorry to disappoint Tim, but yes, the outline 10 months ago covered existing functionality plus whatever was thought up to improve challenges. So, the histogram you see in this thread has always been what hosts see.

You mention allowing everyone the ability to see that data and I'll tell you why I don't think that's a good idea. The code for each person is the same, randomly assigned per person. It's easy for us as hosts to see a "friend" voter ID show up in multiple challenges and see their ties to certain other people. It's also easy yet time consuming to look at which pictures a voter chose not to vote on and figure out who may be the voter, yet we can still make bad assumptions on who they are too. I hope someday a host or DPR decides to delete the votes entirely on things like a voter who posts one 5 and 49 .5's. but I think if everyone could look at ID's and patterns and try matching them up to people in the forum, we'd just start a huge witch hunt and hurt a lot of people with wrong accusations.

Personally, I'm hoping DPR has a few hours to give the challenge community this year in the form of some of those improvements outlined 10 month old ago.

-- hide signature --

Barb

Thank you and thanks to you I now have a much better picture of the overall system. Between the two choices, I would have guessed the voter's ID was rerandomized for each challenge rather than being permanent.

It is probably neither here nor there, but is interesting to see that when a challenge entrant votes for all but her or his own entry the host then learns the voter's true ID. That would be very interesting, but not very useful though because that person would probably be one of the good guys and not one of the troublemakers, assuming she or he was not dumb enough to attract attention to an illogical voting pattern.

You make a good point about about the witch hunt. There could be quite a buzz of activity around here. I now think the best idea is to show a single histogram for each challenge that shows the distribution of all votes for that challenge.

Congratulation on your very successful fruit challenge. Once again the best entries rose to the top.

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow