Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,807Gear list
Like?
Re: Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots
In reply to tedandtricia, Jan 17, 2013

Because subjects in low light are some of the most demanding for photography you can spend a fortune (pro camera, fast zoom lens) and still not get the best results; the biggest difference is going to be technique. And once you get the technique that's still not enough because you'll need to compose well so the shot says something. So whatever you buy I would suggest practicing a lot and don't expect the camera and lens combination to do the heavy lifting - that's up to you. You may also want to practice without your kids lest they get tired of being targeted for trial runs...

One exercise could be to stage a shot, so you position the camera (facing a window - not!) and get all your camera parameters in order before your subject crosses (goes for a glass of water to the kitchen or something) and can get the shot. Some interiors are so dark the only way to get the shot will be with a flash or several flashes (hint: not the one on your camera).

I would get something like a Canon T3i or 60D and the 85mm 1.8, so you're not in their face, or equivalent fast aperture lens and camera combination in other brands. Good luck!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OM-DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow