Is the E-5 rain proof ?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the E-5 rain proof ?
In reply to CollBaxter, Jan 17, 2013

Collin,

I'm always happy to hear good news stories like this. Especially when it's someone else who's taken the risk for me 

IMO if solid build and weather resistance were the measure of a pro camera (not ISO, noise, Mp and framers per second) then the E-5 would be the No.1 Pro camera.

I suspect that the weak link for water ingress to the camera body will always be the lens-body interface, and as we know the weather-sealed Zuikos have that thin transparent plastic gasket on the mounting face.

One concern I have is, what happens to that plastic gasket when we leave the lens on the camera for extended periods, particularly in hot conditions. Does the gasket material develop a memory, does it lose elasticity and stay compressed? Over time will the seal become less effective ?   I always remove my lenses from the body when I've finished shooting and putting the gear away for a couple of days or longer.  Only on weekends when I'm home do I have the E-5 ready to shoot with lens attached just in case  there is some bird action in the backyard.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow