X-Pro1 JPEG vs RAW

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,118Gear list
Like?
Re: looks odd
In reply to Ryan Williams, Jan 17, 2013

Ryan Williams wrote:

I think at this point most X-Trans owners are aware of ACR's limitations. Detail isn't really the big issue, it's colour smearing that's the real problem — something no amount of sharpening or fine-tuning can fix.

In your example photos I could tell which were the ACR shots without even looking at the labels, because the colour smearing is apparent in many places if you know what you're looking for (areas where there're highly-contrasting bold tones, such as green next to white or blue next to red).

Not that I'm saying this is a huge deal, but the limitations are clear and known to most.

Given that we're looking here at a 100% crop, so we're seeing the smallest of details - I'd say that the JPEG in #1 (the 18mm shot) shows more color bleed from the red area on the left of frame, than the processed RAW file does.

Same with the deep blue sign against the green building on the left of frame.

So I'd be 180 degrees from your statement, based on the evidence in front of me.

The JPEG appears to have more color smear than the processed RAW file.

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow