Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to Gary Dean Mercer Clark, Jan 17, 2013

gary mercer wrote:

Here is the quote on the new Sigma DP3M special site:

This provides luminance resolution equivalent to that of a 30MP CFA sensor as measured on the standard B&W resolution chart used in conventional digital camera resolution testing.

Sigma has tested and other professional review sites have tested the DP2M and DP1M and have all said these cameras are providing absurdly high bayer sensor equivalent MP in resolution.

Gary Mercer

What Lin keeps pointing out, and has been pointing out for the last six years that I know about, is that the microcontrast of the Foveon sensor is superior to the Bayer sensors, and that the term "resolution," although descriptive, is not exactly the correct or only proper term for the entire discussion.

But all the cavils so far expressed by other (mostly uninformed) posters aside, I will simply refer to the repeated approvals of M. Reichman, Steve Huff, Quentin Bargate, et al (people who are actually exposed to and are able to see and consider the outputs from many and various cameras and sensors and systems in regard to the "resolution"). Even with their stated reservations they generally say very positive things about the Foveon images. I don't think they are trying to curry favor with Sigma or the posters on this forum... And then there are people who actually post images from sensors of different types and sizes, and show the results, and let people come to their own conclusions.

This is not a discussion about price. The cameras are either what you want, because you can see the difference in the image, or you can't see any difference, so you don't want it. No one is going to compel you to buy a Sigma camera.

Finally: Why anyone who thinks the Sigma cameras are somehow significantly deficient and the users  misguided repeatedly posts their negative opinion (unless to express their own personal disappointment with their purchase...) is a mystery to me. Are there any Sigma users who regularly visit (for example) the DPR Nikon Forum to post that the SD1 is superior? Even at only low ISO? I very much doubt it. It makes me wonder about what motivates such people to post, and post repeatedly.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow