Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
jbart1
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
Re: Nikon D5100
In reply to tedandtricia, Jan 16, 2013

Although not extensively in your particular situation I have used the d5100 in low light for photography in industrial warehouses and at night races on dirt car tracks where i felt it performed quite nicely - not as well as my new D600 - but there is a $1500 price difference.

It was waaayy better than the D3000 I had used previously when it came to ISO noise and low light focus, and significantly faster than my Canon SX50 P&S.

The best thing to do is narrow your choices to a few options and try to find a local dealer where you can test drive them for at least a few minutes.

The addition of good low F prime lenses will help any camera compared to reviews done with the included kit lens.

Below are two pics for comparison that are as close to the same as I had available.  One is from the nikon D3000 with Sigma 10-20mm lens and the other is with the nikon D5100 and Nikon 18-200mm lens.  Neither lenses are great low-light primes like the 1.8G models so this is kind of a worst case scenario comparison. You will see that even at a much higher ISO the D5100 has significantly cleaner images.

D3000 F4.2  ISO-11000  1/30 Shutter

D5100 F5.6 ISO-3200  1/25 Shutter

Those big warehouse lights might look bright but believe me it is pretty dim for any kind of picture taking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OM-DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow