Capture One RAW to OOC Jpeg (hopefully LR soon) comparisons

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?
Re: Capture One RAW to OOC Jpeg (hopefully LR soon) comparisons
In reply to JimG, Jan 16, 2013

JimG wrote:

I have a question for you regarding conversions (not trying to argue just asking):

DPR has it's reference image for testing cameras and when they did the conversion of that image in C1 for their review of C1 and X-Trans, the really fine detail of the engraved woman's face at the end of the article was full of a jagged pattern (moire artifacts?). Was that due to an issue with processing X-Trans RAW files or was it due to user error with the settings?

If it is just the way it is, that begs the question, how often can that happen since landscape work is full of minute details?

I'm interested in the camera and primarily prefer working with RAW images so I am concerned when there is so much controversy over RAW conversions.

Jim

Jim,

Absolutely agree that on the default settings you saw moire on the test scene. The engraving from a banknote is designed to pick up moire. Having said that I have yet to find it in the wild with the X-Pro1 at all, whereas I have found Moire a problem with both the X100 and Olympus E-M5 (which show better responses in the test scene, but have thin AA filters so are prone to moire). I guess that's why not every test is perfect. You won't have any moire issues with landscape photography, it's more of a problem for fashion, architecture and wedding photographers.

That said, I found I could remove the moire in post by using a mask in capture 1. However, I didn't really see the point in posting a jpeg of a test scene in those circumstances! However, I know enough now that I'm not concerned at all about RAW processing in capture one.

As to the controversy, I wouldn't worry a bit. There is absolutely a grain of truth behind the issues with Lightroom RAW conversions, but people who either have an axe to grind or are employed professionally to sow dissent and such forth will post endlessly about this and that issue on forums like this. I've seen people target Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus cameras in additon to Fujifilm. A lot of the time it's total bunk, but such individuals cause controversy to frighten people to X brand or another.

Cheers,

Simon

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow