Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,082Gear list
Like?
Re: my budget
In reply to tedandtricia, Jan 16, 2013

tedandtricia wrote:

Maybe you could tell me what my price range needs to be to get a good keeper rate without too many sacrifices and compromises. If 90% of kids photos can be gotten with a budget under $1K, then my budget is probably $1K. If I have too many blurred photos and out of focus shots because the AF was slow or didn't track as well as it would have on a really high end DSLR, then my budget might need to be $2K or $3K. I don't want to spend that kind of money unless necessary but I think I should first let the task determine my budget and not the other way around.

I guess most DSLR or compacts can handle easy outdoor portraits. So I guess I want to get more info about cameras in the marginal situations. Low light. Unpredictable motion. Low light unpredictable motion. If I spend $500 or $5000 more, am I able to capture a class of photos that I wasn't able to before?

If you are looking to get into this professionally, you need to get a better camera. Just as important, is the lens you choose. With kids, I would suggest a full frame camera such as the D600, D800, or the Eos 5D III, EOS 6 D or the SLT99., by Nikon, Canon, or Sony respectively. A full frame sensor will give you greater dynamic range, better low light performance and great latitude in cropping. All of these cameras give you good low light latitude, but you also should consider a lighting system for the perfect picture when called for. For a lens, I would suggest a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 from any of the camera or lens makers. I am a Nikon guy, so I am familiar with their lenses. Another option is a 24-70 2.8. Both Canon, and Nikon make very good lenses in that category. I am also hearing that the new Tamron with VC is a consideration. A third option is a 85mm 1.4, or 1.8 lens which is well suited for portraits.

If you are just taking snapshots, a cropped sensor camera such as the D7000 from Nikon, and a 35 1.8, and a 60 2.8 would do fine. So as you can see your intent makes a difference on the kind of budget you decide on. If you going to shoot professionally, budget for the better cameras and lenses. Your business would justify the added cost. But if you just going  to shoot as a hobby, my first scenario cannot be justified. In that scenario , the class of camera I am suggesting will yield you excellent pictures, but not give you the flexibility of the pro cameras.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D3 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OM-DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow