XF1 image quality: DPR Test Scene (!)

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
RStyga
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?
Re: XF1 image quality: DPR Test Scene (!)
In reply to Trevor G, Jan 16, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

RStyga wrote:

Has anyone seen the DPR test scene of this camera?

Yes, it's the same as any X or EXR series camera.

EXR sensors produce best results in M size. Everyone shoots test images in L size.

If you download an L size RAW file and process it in RFC/Silkypix (the bundled software) it can look better than the in-camera JPEG in a number of areas, and better than the "default settings" images dpreview post in their tests.

Could anyone help me out here (a response from DPR would be great)?

They are too busy to talk to ordinary people.

Unless you can find a way to show that their methodology is wrong. They still won't believe it, though, and they probably won't respond except in their own defence.

Take the current article by Richard Butler on X-Trans RAW processing by ACR and Capture One. They still haven't got it right, still can't do it as well as RFC/Silkypix, but Richard still won't mention that RFC does a better job because, like most reviewers used to adobe products, he hates Silkypix with a passion.

Unfortunate, but true.

What's worse, it looks like a racial reaction as much as anything, because dpreview always condescendingly mock some of the language that Silkypix use in their interface. It's still in every review they write...

Shame, really.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

I had the same line of thought; i.e., that Silkypix, however inferior it might be on other counts, since it is what Fujifilm has customised for their cameras, must be better at processing Fujifilm cameras' RAW into, hopefully, an acceptably artifact-free output.

Since they know the problems that an in-house sensor structure, so different that bayer-based sensors, causes in demosaicing, it is imperative that a very good JPEG engine in incorporated in every camera they release to compensate until at least the rest of the industry figure out a way to process their RAW files efficiently. In the case of the X-Pro1 and X-E1 Fujifilm have done a masterful job, indeed, creating perhaps the best JPEG output this industry has seen so far. Why did they royally screw up with XF1, a brand new advanced compact camera model, is beyond me...

RStyga's gear list:RStyga's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-A1 Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow