Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948
Like?
Re: King tide photos before sunrise in Tacoma FZ200
In reply to RedorBlack, Jan 16, 2013

RedorBlack wrote:

Timj351 wrote:

Yes, welcome to the club. I love these shots and I know this place well as I live up the road in Kent. Some of my favorite shots were taken at sunrise around that area. I love to go down there and shoot but I haven't been there in a while. After seeing your wonderful shots I am even more motivated. Thanks for sharing these.

Tim

Thanks for the comments. If you come down there, another spot to check out (especially if you want to do some long distance stuff) is Fireman's Park which overlooks that entire area. To give a wee bit of an idea of what you can see from there, here are a couple of shots i took when I first went out to see what I could do with the Panasonic 1.7x teleadapter back in November. I had the camera on auto and was playing with seeing what it could reach. All handheld pushing the button, overcast rainy day, wasn't playing with light. 

Looking towards the Murray Morgan Bridge and Mt. Rainier from inside Fireman's Park

No art effects here... just detail from the camera that is so good I can read the yellow tape on the pulley at top of the bridge from about 3 city blocks away in a hand held photo.

The pulley in the above photo is the one in the foreground on the right side. The Downtown Tacoma area has some pretty good views for photography, this is just a taste if you are into industrial stuff.

Not very exciting, but I'm overlooking a highway that runs under the park I'm in. That is Dock Street Landing down there where I took the photos I posted from yesterdays shoot. You can see the tank farm, the building, the building and the grain ship area all in this shot. Oh... see that container ship with the green back way way off in the distance next to the red container ship?

Amazing artwork no? Oh, no... but this is that dot in the middle of the image above, handheld shot with the FZ200 at 1166mm equivalent focal length in 35mm. Then I turned around and took this next shot....

OK, so I unscrewed the teleadapter, aside from that I didn't change any settings. These mushrooms are about an inch tall, I think that is a pine needle leaning up against the one.

Thanks RedorBlack. Do these look familiar? These were taken quite a few years ago with my F707 that has an amazing lens. Even at 5mp the images still hold up quite well for most of my uses. Since the weather is pretty clear this week I am going to "try" to get down there super early with my FZ200 and tripod. I'm not a morning person but that is the best time to shoot. There is so many different things to shoot around Tacoma in a relatively small area. Thanks for the inpiration and great photos.

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow