Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Disappointing GH3?
In reply to Francis Carver, Jan 16, 2013

Francis Carver wrote:

Wow, Pete, thanks! That sounds pretty bad, I mean, having so much SMALLER of an EVF than its 2 predecessors, talk about cutting corners and saving the almighty yen, huh?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Panasonic claims that GH3's EVF is OLED instead of LCD, correct? And that how much better for colors and black OLED is than lowly LCD. So, your observation about reds being orange is all the more stunning. I guess I'll stick with LCDs for a while longer.

Other issues (I do not yet have the GH3, since they are not presently available for purchase anywhere, at least not in No. America).

I tried to look for the firmware version and seeing how to update to the firmware, but saw nothing whatsoever for firmware updates and firmware downloads for the GH3 at the camera's support page. Maybe I did not look for it at the right place? What firmware is in these things now, anyhow? Still something pre-pre that does not start with the number 1?

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY?support

Meanwhile, even though the camera is not yet shipping in numbers, initial technical problems with it are beginning to be reported. Such as the "blurry" OLED EVF, in addition to the issues you have raised with it.

Another thing I just found out, even though the GH3 has "Extended ISO Mode" that starts at 125 ISO and goes up to 25,600 ISO, in video mode the lowest ISO setting available is still 200 ISO. That is pretty high for certain applications. The GH2 could at least got down to 160 ISO, I believe. I started shooting on 25 ASA(ISO) movie film, and then wen I went up to 64 ASA(ISO), that was already considered pretty sensitive. And 100 ASA(ISO) was considered for interior use. So, 200 ISO minimum sensitivity in the GH3 -- way too high in my opinion. Need to break out the ND filters now and again, particularly when you are shooting video at 1/50th of a second shutter speeds in sun-drenched beaches, in the desert, or on the ski slopes. Unless you want to shoot at F16 and F22 aperture, which is something I do not like. Hate to drop below F8-F11.

Also, I was shocked to learn that the GH3 does not have focus peaking for manual focus shooters. Why the heck not, when for example the $550 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR bridge-cam has it? For manually focusing shooters, peaking assist is a great add-on. Here is Panny's own explanation as to the WHY part, BTW:

We are aware that many customers want this feature. Due to time constraints during the development schedule it could not be included.

Hey, Panny: Since the camera is still not shipping in large numbers, so this here is your chance to go back and fix these little things with it.

Francis, I have a question for you:

If you are so frustrated with the GH3 specs and current short supply, why not just get something else?  If it does not meet your needs then carrying on about it here in multiple threads is not going to make it magically change into the camera you hoped it would be for YOU.

Multiple posters in response to your questions have suggested reasonable methods of acquiring the GH3, but these are not apparently acceptable to you.  Now you pop up in this thread and rail about all of the "flaws" in the camera, be they real or imagined.

Here is my advice, both as a poster AND a moderator here:  Lighten up.  What you are doing is coming dangerously close to trolling.  If you are disappointed that you cannot easily acquire the camera right now, that is understandable.  But don't villify Panasonic or the product because you can't get what you want at the exact moment you want it.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow