Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
Re: Which Pentax DSLR should I get?
In reply to Larrybobba, Jan 16, 2013

Larrybobba wrote:

Hello all,

I want to buy a new Pentax camera and I need some advice.

I currently have a Pentax istDs2 which I bought along with a 18-55 AL lens. I also have an arsenal of several older Pentax M and A lenses that I have purchased over the years going all the way back to my trusty ME Super days. I rarely use those older M and A lenses now due to lack of auto focus, etc.

My questions are:

1.) Where can I go to read about current Pentax DSLR camera recommendations and user feedback?

2.) Where can I go to read about old lens compatibility with newer cameras? (or is it even worth it?)

Maybe I should just get a new Pentax camera with a 55-300mm AL lens, and along with my existing 18-55 lens, that's all I'd need. Still, I'd like to get my older lenses involved if practical.

I'm a moderately skilled amateur. Do you more experienced folk still out there still use your older lenses?

Thanks very much for any direction you can give me.

You shouldn’t even consider the K-30, seeing as you can still find a brand-new K-5 bodies on the internet for just a little more. You’ll get so much more camera for your buck. The K-5 is such a light-year leap over all of the previous K bodies. I didn't waste no time upgrading to the K-5 after about 9 months of ownership with my K-7. There's a few minor problems with this camera, but the only one worth mentioning is the tendency of the auto focus to have issues in “rich tungsten” lit situations. Other than that, the camera is awesome and truly a serious tool for a photographer to have in his bag.  As far as a highly recommended lens that to match up with the K-5, Get the DA 17-70 f4.  I had a chance to use this lens for about a month while I was receiving a brand new DA* 16-50 f2.8 lens from the Pentax factory in Vietnam.  I can say that it’s a pretty sweet lens to use and the 70mm atop of you general range is very nice.  It’s definitely the best general use lens that Pentax makes and one that I’d love to buy if I had a spare $400 sitting around.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow