Anyone tried viewfinder magnifiers on full-frame Nikons?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
moony16
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
Re: Anyone tried viewfinder magnifiers on full-frame Nikons?
In reply to dholl, Jan 16, 2013

dholl wrote:

Coming from the Canon 5DII, I'm a bit disappointed how dark the D600's viewfinder is when in poor light (clubs, for example).

One solution I thought of was to get either a viewfinder magnifier or a right-angle finder. If I get something like a 1.22x magnifier, then I realise the corners will darken a little, but will the main view also darken? If the main view is also a little darker, then I pretty much lose the 22% advantage.

A right-angle finder might offer the same size view, but will it be a touch brighter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nikon don't offer a viewfinder magnifier (DG-2 doesn't count, as it only magnifies about 20% of the centre-view). Nikon do offer the DR-6 right-angle finder.

Here are a couple of cheap(ish) third-party candidates. Anyone used something like this?

TENPA 1.22x

Seagull 1x 2x

When I got my D700 I was very disappointed with the viewfinder: brightness & size. While I knew I’d never get a finder like my old film cameras, I had much more in mind than the viewfinder the D700 provides. I almost returned the D700.

It may seem silly, given how great the D700 is but, to me, composition is the single greatest element to a great shot. And, after a photographer’s compositional skills, the viewfinder is the most important thing to composing. I think this is elementary and goes unnoticed by most.

Anyway, on my APS-c camera, I had a KPS U13 1.3 X eyepiece magnifier. I took it & installed in on the D700, which helped the size issue--it’s been on ever since. I do not notice a drop off in brightness. The KPS eyepiece is of high quality, though not cheap. I think I paid $70 for it many years back. However, it does come with various accessories, like an eyecup & eyepiece and various plates for adapting to most cameras. No adapting is needed for D700--it just screws in.

Vignetting does not occur, however, because the screen is enlarged the eye can not take in the whole view at once: you must move the eye to the corners. This makes precise compositions more difficult, (though doable), but everything is a tradeoff. The eyepiece is great for manual focus & for Macro work in general. It is also preferred when precise (extreme borders) compositions are not needed.

JT

-- hide signature --

Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow