Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Best DSLR + lens combo for low light, indoor kid shots
Jan 16, 2013

Ok, I need a DSLR to shoot kids indoors. Compact isn't enough. I get it. Took me a few months of trying on my compact but now I get it.

I was told a DSLR with a fast prime, like 35 mm f/1.4 or f1.8, is a good approach. I'm figuring APS-C is more realistic at this point but would consider full frame if it'll make a difference. I assume most DSLRs have good enough sensors that you don't have to worry too much about ISO like you do on a compact. Of various DSLR bodies and lenses, when my sole primary intended application is low light kid motion shots, what cameras should I be considering? I'm thinking primarily in terms of AF capabilities:

- having more AF sensors to keep track of your subject, if you are not keeping your center AF point perfectly on your subject

- continuous AF once you lock on a subject

- can you get a DSLR to lock on the eyes of a child in motion?

- focus hunting issues in low light or low contrast situations

- focus release option

- OVF vs EVF (not sure if anyone except Sony is EVF)

- I am told center point AF is the best method for kids (shoot wide and crop)

- what other AF features matter?

I considered a Sony SLT/SLR at first. Except with an SLT, it would be -1/2 EV because some of the light is diverted to the AF sensor. In good light it probably is negligible but since my primary application is low light motion, I want to focus on cameras that EXCEL in low light (or are considered the least bad in low light). The Sony DSLR A580 is apparently better than the A57 with low light motion, but there's no real upgrade path for me in the future since Sony is going SLT. So I think I'm leaning away from Sony at this point.

So that leaves Canon, Nikon, and whatever anyone else suggests.

Also, if anyone knows a good link to a chart that maps out DSLR maker family trees for cameras so I can understand how different models compare with each other. I don't have the faintest clue, particularly with Canon and Nikon, how the Canon 60D compares to the 50D etc.

Also, which manufacturer has the biggest aftermarket of used lenses, good primes, good zooms, reasonable prices? Are Tamrons and Sigmas compatible with all DSLRs? I know zilch about lens basics at this point.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OM-DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow