ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stilograph
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
So, I'm jumping this wagon. Any advice?
Jan 16, 2013

Hey all.

As of today, my Canon system has been switched to Nikon, with 3 primes: 28/50/85

I come from 5D Mark II, and the learning curve is intense! So many buttons! But I think it's worthwhile. D600 gives the IQ of 5D Mark III for 1500 less money. Sure the AF-points seem a cluster of... well, a cluster. And changing AF from S to C is just plain counterintuitive. At least for now. But other then that, I enjoy the ergonomics and such. AF is fast, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next assignment to see how this puppy truly performs.

Now, I know I'm set with the primes. They are fantastic, and I've shot with this combo for a long time. But might you suggest a good zoom? Is Nikkor 24-70 any good? Any alternatives, something close to Canons 24-105 f4? All I want is constant aperture. Raising the ISO with this camera doesn't seem to be a problem.

Also, Canon is notorious for ETTR (Exposing to the right) about 0.5 stops. The banding in the shadows is that bad. Anything similar with Nikon? I've seen suggestions that Nikon should actually be exposed to the left. How much headroom do the shadows have? How easy is it to recover highlights? This info would be useful as I shoot weddings and events, and the light is changing in a rapid phase. I would like to get a feel as of how much can I get away with in the post. For example, if you underexposed with Canon, it was all over.

And is the SB900 really such an overheater as I've heard?

So far I'm loving the D600. No dust here, at least for now. Any helpful comments are very welcome.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow