Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Which 1D/5D combo should I go with?
Jan 16, 2013

Currently, I have a 5D II and 1D III. I like the flexibility of having a full frame and a x1.3 crop. Love the ergonomics and feel of the 1D, and have really liked the shots that it's produced. AF is great too. Weather proofing is also a need for me, as I am in Michigan and deal with snow quite a bit. Battery life is also awesome on the 1D, especially in colder weather. I shoot portraits, weddings, events, etc. part time. If I had to stick with what I have now, it would be sufficient.

However, in the next few months, I am hoping to upgrade my combo. My basic frame of thought is to sell one of my bodies (or both), and then get something in the $2-$3k range. These are the combos I am considering:

• 1D IV (used) & 5D II
  • 5D III (new) & 5D II
  • 1Ds III (used) & 1D III
  • 1D X & a point and shoot - jk

The combo I am leaning toward is the 1D IV & 5D II. I have found the 5D II to be great for portraits, etc. It's obviously a great camera. The improvements on the 1D IV that really appeal to me are the MP boost, much better ISO and much better LCD (pretty important for me when reviewing event photos - for focus purposes). Also, if I'm understanding the specs correctly, the 1D IV allows for all focus points to be selectable - correct? This is not available on the 1D III. The added video wouldn't hurt either, although not a necessity.

The 5D III is obviously intriguing. However, I don't think that I want two full frame cameras at this time, and I would really like to move into something with a higher MP count than the 1D (as a side note - I had the 7D for quite a while, and didn't love it. Not looking to go back to that). The 10fps burst also does come in handy for me every so often.

Lenses - 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4 IS, 50mm f1.4 and for the time being I rent any combination of 35 1.4, 85 1.2 and 70-200 f2,8 IS II.

Sorry for rambling. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on what they would do, or have done already, in this scenario. Thanks.

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1Ds Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow