Can Sigma 35/1.4 also trouble the waters for Nikon 24/1.4?

Started Jan 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
azoele
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
Re: Can Sigma 35/1.4 also trouble the waters for Nikon 24/1.4?
In reply to Emil Varadi, Jan 16, 2013

Different focal lengths, but the Sigma smashes the Nikon, so much so (and at such a prize) that it is embarrassing...

My 2c, from owning all the three lenses (24G, 35G, Sigma 1.4).
For my usage of fast primes, I consider 2 aspects critical: AF reliability, and real-world Usebility at f1.4, f2.

AF:

• the Sigma is amazing. It acquires focus easily, and it's almost always spot on, both shot at f1.4 and stopped down. Speed appears on par with the Nikon 35.
  • Nikon 24 1.4: erratic to say the least... and well documentedly so. Also, suffering from heavy focus shift, meaning that if you AF-tune it for f1.4, it'll be poor at 2.8, and vice versa. The nearer the worse the effect... It is a lens I do not trust for a critical shot (I always focus/recompose, and/or use live view...).
  • Nikon 35 1.4: better than the 24 1.4, but still a far cry from Sigma's precision. A lens I trust so-so, to be magnanimous.

:Sharpness
  • the Sigma is amazing. No kidding, it is just very sharp at f1.4, on both my D3s and D4. On D800E it kept impressing. And it improves again on stopping down. Also, coma is well corrected at f1.4... Bokeh, I like it a lot.
  • Nikon 35 1.4G: sharpness wide open is too low to be really usable. By F2 it improves, but really needs more than that to show its mettle. On the other hand, it becomes amazing at F4, but... why sell it as F1.4 then? Very nice bokeh though.
  • Nikon 24 1.4G: similarly to the 35... using it wide open means low sharpness even in the centre, even using live view to ensure proper focus. F2, or even better 2.8 is strongly recommended. Nice bokeh.

of) bad luck, although I carefully picked my samples: tried 3 different copies of the 24 before buying, and mine was the best, even... 35 went under the same scrutiny (same for the 85 1.4G, another under performer, IMHO, plagued by loads of aberrations).lotI may have had (a
In a word: Sigma simply pulled a rabbit out of the hat, and it really impresses. prize for f1.4-f2.0 performance...any, but amazingly clear, by f4) and focused with a lot of attention (to precision and their focus shifts...), but they certainly won't win crystal clear1.4 Nikons are lenses to break resolution records stopped down (the 35 1.4G appears 
Have fun,Lory 

Emil Varadi wrote:

I'm planning to go FF later this year and I was sitting on the fence regarding the Nikon 24/1.4. Exposure Plot says last year 30,8% of all my shots were at 24 mm probably due to the wide end my 16-85VR DX zoom which is flat 24mm on DX, a reason good enough to get this lens once you have the funds.

. But the steep price of the 24/1.4 and the widespread success and the moderate price of the new Sigma 35/1.4 really makes me ponder. Yes, I know the 10 mm difference between the 24 and 35 can be meaningful, but the closeness of these focal lenths had already caused similar dilemmas to many wideangle prime buyers. For the time being I want high quality primes for my future FF camera and it does not have to be 24.

The 24/1.4 is the bokeh king of wideangles and I'm great fan of good bokeh (think 85/1.4). What bothers me are the contradictory statements about bokeh of the Sigma 35/1.4. Opinions vary in the range from great to downright awful in some situations as it seems to be very background sensitive. Yes, its bitingly sharp and very good in the corners, but I have sold lenses because of ugly bokeh.

Now, can this be true?buyers opinion that the Sigma is not only better in a number of parameters than the Nikon 35/1.4 but it also "beats" the 24/1.4.Paying less than half of the 24/1.4's price for the Sigma is a very attractive proposition. I also read a
let's say for Christmas. If Sigma could do it with the 35mm it can also do it with the 24, right? I'm ready to wait for a 1000 dollars.I would also hate to invest into the Nikon 24/1.4, and then see Sigma come out with a superb and more affordable 24/1.4,
Sigma has troubled the waters for Nikon, Canon and Zeiss at 35 mm. What about its impact on 24mm? What are your views?
-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow