Picked up an Epson 4800 my friend thought was junk but it is now my treasure!

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
bluehighwayman
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up an Epson 4800 my friend thought was junk but it is now my treasure!
In reply to journeymanprinter, Jan 16, 2013

The first thing I did was to realize the print head was toast so I ordered one from Epson ($499 US all other sites were charging at least $650+). Next I changed all the dampers ($72 US most places charge $18 US per damper but I found them at half that price).  I cleaned the flushing station and got cartridges full of cleaning solution to flush the lines (these are also useful to put in the printer if it will not be used for an extended period of time).  Whenever I noticed air bubbles in the lines I removed the line at the damper and used a syringe to get the bubbles out (can't emphasize the importance of doing this as it causes most of the clogging problems).  Getting the air bubbles out using this method saves ink.  If you have to replace the head there is a youtube video in two parts that shows how to do it (don't use the procedure in the service manual as it will require you to make many adjustments and is totally unnecessarily complicated).  Although all this might sound very difficult it is actually quite simple.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow