Kurt Munger Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 Review

Started Feb 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
asiafish
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Kurt Munger Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 Review
In reply to liquid stereo, Jan 16, 2013

I briefly tried the 35mm 1.4G (Sony version) and wound up going for the 35mm f2 for my A850, based in part on Kurt's review.  For the NEX, however, I went straight to the Zeiss 24 and haven't looked back.  It is my single most expensive lens for either A or E mount, and is also the one lens I use more than any other.  The NEX7 and CZ24 together make almost the perfect walkaround system.  Far lighter than even the A850 body only, EVF and tiltable screen make street shooting a breeze, and the image quality is equal to what I get with FF.

The only downside is depth of field, which is usually too wide with the 24 unless I shoot wide open.  I make frequent use of an ND filter and try to stay at f4~5.6 for landscape/travel and wide open for group portraits.

I also find the close-up capabilities of this lens to be amazing.  At those close focusing distances the extra depth of field of the 24mm focal length combined with focus peaking make semi-macro photography fast and easy.

-- hide signature --

'China, which we call Red China, just exploded a nuclear bomb, which we called a device' - Tom Lehrer

asiafish's gear list:asiafish's gear list
Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow