Another D600 low-light, high ISO image (ISO 6400)

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,564
Like?
Re: Another D600 low-light, high ISO image (ISO 6400)
In reply to Luke Kaven, Jan 16, 2013

Luke Kaven wrote:

Duncan C wrote:

coudet wrote:

Duncan C wrote:

Shot with my 70-200 f/2.8 VR (VR I, not VR II) at f/5, 1/60th of a second at 200 mm, at ISO 6400! It continues to boggle my mind that I can get such nice images at an ISO that high.

ISO 6400 is really nothing for a modern full frame camera. Your D600 can do a lot more..

I'm pretty picky about IQ, and at 6400 there's quite a bit of noise in the shadows. I don't think I'll push it much beyond 6400 if I can avoid it.

Notice the elevated black levels, and the slight magenta-blue cast? That's the onset of thermal noise. These Exmor cameras run hot, and need a full-time LENR option. Worse with live view. I do my own black frame subtraction when I work at ISO6400 and up, even at handheld shutter speeds.

With the right treatment, you can get great mood shots at ISO25600. Negligible pattern noise. A little bit of luma noise...can look very nice.

Found it, finally. LENR = Long Exposure Noise Reduction.

So you're saying that these cameras need "Thermal Noise Reduction" for short exposures?

So for high ISO you take a frame with the same settings with the lens cap on, then do a difference layer in PS in post?

Of course, that means you can't use auto ISO or auto WB, which is something I'm starting to like, and that you have to remember to take a reference exposure.

WIth the image I posted, I did do a shadow adjustment in ACR as part of the post processing. A thread somebody linked to suggests that that step introduces a color cast to the shadows, where exposure adjustment does not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow