SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50
In reply to Baron LaCat, Jan 16, 2013

Baron LaCat wrote:

Hi Vision

Very new to the SX50 and find your reviews interesting.

Can you please explain about FINE and SUPERFINE, and where to find them in the camera's menu ?

To add to Adam's answer and suggestions about other settings, the difference between Fine and Superfine are the JPEG compression ratios. Fine is a 3/13 compression ratio which loses a little more fine data than the Superfine's 5/15 compression ratio. Because Superfine doesn't compress as much data, the file sizes are bigger. As seen from the tests early in my review, there is not a lot of practical difference, but there IS a difference and with a small sensor, every little bit helps. So I keep Superfine set as my default.

As far as the "C" settings Adam mentions, it's a good idea for everyone to move these around and test them out. You'll get a feeling for what works best for your particular way of shooting. A good majority of the time, the standard (center) settings work fine, but in many cases as well for post processors, moving some down and then doing it yourself can yield better results. For my normal shooting, I have them set at standard, but my C2 mode settings have them down a notch.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow