Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179Gear list
Like?
The delivery.
Jan 16, 2013

I always am keeping my eyes open for some person or event in uptown Charlotte.  I saw this man with the large package crossing the street and I took the picture.

Some of you have made the comment that you don't like b&w, but when I shot for a weekly that is all that they used.  When I started shooting back in 1959 while serving in the Army in Munich, b&w was about all we used.  Color was two much work and cost way to much.  B&W had a larger forgiveness in over and under exposure.  In other words, you could over expose one to two stops and underexpose by 3 stops and still be able to use the exposure.  Color couldn't be over exposed more than one stop, and would still have blown out highlights.  And you didn't have to have the exact temps that you had to have with color to process them.  When I went digital, back in 2002, I started shooting color.  When I started showing b&w as well as color I had a greater interest in my work.  I don't sell my work to the public.  What draws the greatest interest is somewhat of a mystery to me.  I have over 45,000 photos in L.R.  Maybe 1,000 online, but I have fewer than 100 from my time in Vietnam and more people that come to my site look most at those few from Nam.

When I shoot color, I find I am trying to make it look like what I saw.  When I work in B&W, I am not bound by those restrictions.  Then I tend to see in black and white, but isn't that the wonder of it all.  We can all do that photography that we love best, be it b&w or color.  For those of you who do not do Post Processing, you are not getting half of what your

camera can do.  For those that do P.P. there is so much more that we can learn.  And for all of us, we do tend to love photography.

www.photosbypike.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow