NEX 6 to replace both DSLR (Nikon D5100) and Compact?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gimble
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
NEX 6 to replace both DSLR (Nikon D5100) and Compact?
Jan 16, 2013

I currently have a Nikon D5100 SLR and a Nikon P7100 compact. While I have three lenses for the SLR in practice I only ever use it with the 18-200mm. I am pretty happy with the D5100 but I am looking to replace the P7100 – I am mainly interested in getting something with better low light capabilities (I take many shots of family indoors), better video and faster focussing. I have been considering a Canon G15 as it seems to improve on the P7100 in all three of these areas. (The P7700 does not appeal to me.)

I am wondering if instead of getting an expensive new compact if I would be better served spending even more and getting a NEX6 with the 16-50 zoom (for compact use) and the 18-200 (to replace my SLR).

I have previously owned the original NEX 5. I liked it a lot, especially the video quality. However, I ended up selling it. This was because with the 18-55 kit lens it was simply too large for me to carry it around like a compact. (I am hoping the smaller 16-50 will address this.) Also the focussing performance and lack of viewfinder didn’t make it feel like an SLR replacement either.

Any thoughts?

Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow