Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TimR32225
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936Gear list
Like?
Trying out my 1DX....
Jan 16, 2013

I purchased a 1DX last month but had not really had an opportunity to really try it out unitl recently.  About a week ago I finally got out to a couple wildlife sanctuaries and had a chance to really see how effective the autofocus is.  I am still not sure which "case" is optimum for bird flight photography but the camera worked well in the mode I used it.  The autofocus seemed much faster than my 1D4 and I was able to track moving birds with ease.  Shooting a full frame camera, I was missing the extra reach of the 1D4 a little bit, so I used a 1.4x extender nearly the entire time on a 500 f4 lens.  Even with extender, the camera focuses very fast and I never really missed a shot.

The main thing I photographed was a pair of great blue herons building a nest on top of a palm tree.

I mostly used iso 800 and 1600.  You can see a few more images of these birds here:

http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/2013/01/great-blue-heron-nest-building.html

Overall, I am really enjoying this camera and looking forward to using it more. Another thing that surprised me is the speed of the buffer in burst mode.  I was using 400x transcend 32GB memory cards and even when shooting a burst, the camera flushes the buffer almost instantly. I never had to wait on the camera.

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +12 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow