Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,802Gear list
Like?
Question & comments on Micro Focus adjustment on the Nex 7
Jan 16, 2013

Just recently I have started the process of performing the micro focus adjustment of my Minolta A mount lenses used with the LA EA2 adapter.I find that the results seem harder to finalise than when I did the same using the Sony A900 but maybe my eyesight is not so good these days ?  

However I now realise that I don`t know how many lenses can be accomodated , does anyone know ?

I find that these lenses perform better on both these cameras when compared the results that I used to get when using the 6MP Minolta 5D & in addition to the benefits of more modern high resolution sensors I believe the ability to micro adjust the lenses is a major factor in the increase in performance . I would urge anyone who has not done so to perform these adjustments.

The method that I use takes a while to carry out. Using a tripod & 10 sec timer I focus on a good quality photo on a glossy magazine cover at a distance of around 12 ft , shooting a bit closer for the shorter focal lengths. I use the apertures that I use most commonly to minimise the slight shifts in focus that can occur with some lenses when they are stopped down. When enlarged these images , when focus is optimal , show very clearly the printed micro dots which the image is composed of . The MA is changed until these dots are at their sharpest.

One incidental by- product of these procedures is that it is very easy to see the diffraction effecst which occur when the lenses are stopped down below their optimum  apertures. The image micro dots soon lose their sharpness. However as I write ths I have realised that I have not adjusted the micro focus adjustent settings when the aperture is stopped down to see if this makes any difference.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow