Is this backfocus? D7000 with 70-300mm Fine tuning needed?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
TAM63
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this backfocus? D7000 with 70-300mm Fine tuning needed?
In reply to Douglass, Jan 16, 2013

Douglass wrote:

Great, once you can fine-tune the focus, you're well on your way to getting the sharper images you want. Small birds are not the easiest things to shoot, as you know.

I like the lens, but my 70-300 wasn't up to them at full zoom either, so I got a 300 f4 upon recommendations here on the site, and it does blow the doors off the zoom, even with a 1.4 TC, so consider that if you are interested in wildlife. It's good value, even at its moderately high price. Seem to be lots of used ones available for less.

As well, when you do some digging into the bird photography world, you find that birders cheat to get those great shots. They get closer with blinds, bait, added prefocused perches with favourable backgrounds, etc., and a lot of patience. The lens is only part of the solution.

Doug

Thanks. My main thing is that I just want to be able to take sharp photos in general. But the little birds are handy, and there isn't a lot outside in the Chicago area right now that's very photogenic. It would be nice to get some bird shots eventually, true, and I will look into some more techniques.

I've used thee 70-300 before to take photos of my dogs running in the yard, and it does a good job of that, so I'm not entirely unhappy with the lens. Except for the birds. I'll look into that combo that you've suggested - thanks.

TAM63's gear list:TAM63's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CDAFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow