Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,984
Like?
Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to plevyadophy, Jan 16, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

...is that while this was a topic that would generate immediate "you're an elitist" backlash when it was brought up years ago, when only the 5D was put together with the 1D cameras, it now resonates as positive, reasonable request for a signification amount of users.

I guess multiplication of a problem tends to make it more clearly perceivable.

Oh - I wouldn't be so certain about that at all. I suspect there are many that are simply holding their tongues.

What I find funny is that these threads pop-up every time there is a new camera that is released and it's not a 1D. LOL!

The forum gets busy for six months with talk about the new body, and all the 1D shooters get shirty that they need to "wade through posts" to read one of the dozen or so 1D threads that have been posted lately.

Then, when things get back to normal, everything is OK again! Hehe!

But normal should be a situation where the 1D shooters never have to "get shirty" to borrow your phraseology.

And for Nikon, as I pointed out earlier, DPReview found it useful to seperate the DX format camera forums into DX and DX Pro. So why not do similarly for Canon full frame users? And even if 1D users aren't as numerous as 5D/6D users, why crowd them out under the throng of 5D/6D posts? Why can not the 1D users get some breathing space? And further more, if I were to use a car analogy I would say that the 1D is akin to a Mercedes S Class; it may not have the greatest number of owners in the brand but it's the prestige model that brings buyers to the brand. So have some respect and give the 1D/S Class some breathing space.

Like I said, it's not up to me.

If it was, I'd be reluctant based on both the number of posts being made regarding the 1D series, and the potential value to shooters of (perhaps) lesser skill or knowledge that 1D shooters could offer this forum.

And I bet if you go over to a Mercedes forum you don't see the S Class bundled with the E Class simply because an E Class also has an AMG variant!

Well - how are you thinking it should be divided?

What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter? The 5D3 is a more capable camera in many ways. It's used by many professional shooters, just as the 1DIII is. Do you think that a 1DIII shooter would not have any interest in a 5D3 or have anything useful to contribute to the 5D3 discussions? Do you think that the different applications have no useful crossover and that different experiences have nothing to offer others?

All these questions and more go through my mind. I'm left thinking that the 1D shooters are just wanting to have a bit of red carpet laid down for them so they don't have to put up with what everyone else in this community has to put up with.

Or is that too harsh.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
whyNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow