X100S...worth the premium over a used X100?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
Re: X100S...worth the premium over a used X100?
In reply to jaxwired, Jan 16, 2013

Is it worth it?

That is an impossible question because value is not absolute. My preorder for the X100s is just over 1400 with tax. I would't even bother myself to check my balance when making such a purchase. So is it worth it to me? The answer is that the discussion of worth isn't even a valid point of reference in that decision.

I think there are some pros out there that may use the X100/X100s here and there, but that most people who purchase this camera are buying it purely for hobby. I don't see anything wrong with that, except that so many of these people are living outside their means in doing so. I really don't see anything wrong with that either from my perspective, because it has no effect on me, but I definitely think it accounts for a lot of interesting behaviors. A hobby is supposed to be something we do for fun, to enhance our lives, not to make our lives more difficult by overextending ourselves. Unfortunately, marketing and advertising folks are smarter than the average consumer, and they have figured out how to get people to overextend themselves without even any thought that they are actually doing it.

I see so many people buying these small cameras and then adding all manner of things to them, making them larger, just to keep from getting a single mark on their camera. If you NEED something to make the grip bigger, I'm not talking to you. But those others, you know who you are, thats just silly. You are treating a tool like it is your precious that was forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom.

The biggest thing I see out there is that people feel a great need to protect their buying choice by becoming mindless fanboys, jumping on any criticism of a piece of equipment as if it was their mother. If these people weren't spending their kid's tuition or their own on a camera, then they probably wouldn't have such an unbalanced and unhealthy attachment to a piece of kit.

I'm not saying that people don't deserve to have the things they want. On the contrary, I like to see people get what they desire for the most part, but not at the cost of their financial wellness, or their dignity.

My rule of thumb. If I can't afford to break it or lose it, I can't afford it.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow