Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
bellevilleguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
Re: Humidity Control Cabinet
In reply to Doug J, Jan 16, 2013

Doug J wrote:

bellevilleguy wrote:

I use a large gun safe for my gear, equipped with 2 gun safe heating rods and some rechargeable desiccant packs... I keep my humidity levels at the 40-55% range which is ideal... You probably should aim for 40% as your lower limit, below this could dry out softer rubber and the internal lubrication's... Check the link out below, it show's my setup...

http://photofroggy.blogspot.com/2012/12/camera-gear-storage.html

Interesting. Did you purchase this gun safe & accessories for the sole purpose of storing your gear in a low-humidity environment? It seems a bit excessive, unless you were re-purposing something you already had, or got a good deal for on Craigslist. Or wanted high security to prevent theft.

A can't disagree that it is a bit excessive...  Humidity where I live is often an issue in the summer,    I live right next to a river and humidity always tends to hang 70%+ at times, perfect conditions for fungus if it's going to happen...  I purposely set out to purchase this safe for 2 reasons in mind, humidity control and the added security and peace of mind...  These safes are $1K, but when you start collecting $40K+ in gear, the added peace of mind to protect it was well worth it for me...  I highly recommend these safes, they are perfect for gear storage and security, the later a dry cabinet can't help you with..

Derek

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow