Tilt-shift lens to replace wide angle and Lensbaby?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Re: 17mm TSE + 1.4 TC
In reply to cpharm86, Jan 16, 2013

cpharm86 wrote:

misolo wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

misolo wrote:

cpharm86 wrote:

I hear good results with the 17mm + the 1.4 TC iii on FF should one not wanting to spend $4,000+ on both lenses. I have not seen any photos though with the 17mm + 1.4.

You'll get better results by mounting the 17mm on even a cheap crop-sensor camera (an optically perfect converter).

So the 17mm TSE with my cheap 10D cropped sensor will give better results than the 17mm + TCiii on my 5DM3?

Ok let's try again then:

You'll get better results by mounting the 17mm on even a cheap current crop-sensor camera (an optically perfect converter).

I don't know, just taking your guidance, I have not seen the comparison.

I've never seen or done a comparison with the 17mm T/S (though the lens is on my wish list, so I may get to it some day), but it's been true with every other lens for which I've seen it. Sharpness, CA, flare, etc., will all be better on the crop sensor compared to extender on FF. With the 5DIII you get better AF and higher fps, but neither matter for the 17mm T/S. Image noise (for the same shutter speed and aperture settings) will be the essentially the same on both (assuming roughly same generation sensors). If you have enough light or are using a tripod (as you surely are with a T/S...) so that shutter speed is not an issue, you do get a better base ISO on the 5DIII than on, say, the 650D (less noise, more dynamic range) - but base ISO on the APS-C sensors is already so good these days that the improvement going to the 5DIII doesn't pay off compared to the optical degration introduced by the extender.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow