Future of Sigma cameras?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
naturalgut
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: Future of Sigma cameras?
In reply to Eddie Davis, Jan 16, 2013

You can beat that by subtracting (from the same review)

• Extremely slow file write speeds, with erratic control behaviour while writing
  • Poor image quality at high ISO, with green and purple colour blotching in shadows
  • Evaluative metering somewhat prone to highlight clipping
  • Overly-conservative highlight clipping warning (can encourage underexposure)
  • No Live View (which makes accurate manual focus harder than it could be)
  • Unimpressive AF compared to similarly-priced competitors
  • Twin controls dials largely wasted, with duplicate functions in all modes except M
  • Uncomfortably-placed ISO button
  • ISO not displayed full time in viewfinder
  • Camera does not achieve specified continuous shooting speeds (about 1 fps slower in our tests)
  • AB configuration position on drive mode dial locks all other functions, and prevents shooting
  • Sigma Photo Pro software is slow and painful to use, and lacks standard controls such as cropping, straightening and lens corrections

Eddie Davis wrote:

Sigma makes a lot of good lenses and has a great reputation. But I can see their cameras on the other hand have had a mixed reception. They obviously do not measure up compared to the big guys. They have limitations and people today are spoiled. A couple of missing features and they forget it. Dpreview lumps this together and calls it a "lack of refinement".

But, and here is the game changer for Sigma: I have not seen anyone being down on the quality of their images. The Foveon sensor seems to be superior technology. I would like to prophecy that if Sigma can get their stuff together, they could be up their with N & C within a short time. Not that this would be a goal in itself, it would simply be unavoidable. There will always be a market for quality regardless of world economy and exterior factors. I feel Sigma is on the right track, they just need a tiny bit of help. The big ones are probably shaking in their boots working hard to match the quality of the Sigma output.

Sigma has got a lot of things right with their SD1, just look at this list of pluses from Dpreview:

• Exceptional image quality at low ISO, especially in Raw mode
  • Very good build quality (including weatherproofing)
  • Straightforward operation, with external controls for all key functions
  • Large, clear viewfinder
  • Excellent grip, extremely comfortable to shoot for extended sessions
  • Near-perfect implementation of mirror lockup (for tripod work)

I mean can you beat that?

-- hide signature --

Yes, you can! If they would just go through the list of quirks and complaints in the same review here on Dpreview and ask their engineers to start solving these issues one by one or even buy the solutions from others if they cannot find them in-house, then this would be a good place to start. They may be doing it already for all I know.

One issue is the proprietary lens mount system Sigma is using. They should weigh the pros and cons and probably will end up finding out that it should be scrapped. Then one of the more common mounts should be chosen. I am not sure which one but I am sure the more knowledgeable members of the forum can give some solid advise here, I am only sharing my initial and general thoughts on Sigma.

And things like enabling their picture files to be handled by the best software in the market is a no brainer. Should be sorted asap. In short they need to hire as consultants only two people: a photographer along with a regular consumer. This would be well invested money.

All the best Sigma, you have a winner up your sleeve, after you have worked through all the issues or at least most of them, you can call it Sigma SD3, signifying that you have made so many improvements that you found you could skip SD2. Ha!

I am giving you all this advice for free. And it is well meant. I was in the market for a good camera for landscapes and that is how I started studying Sigma, mainly their DP1. However this model is a bit specialized and I went from there to the SD1 and saw that might have been a good option except for what i have outlined above. I would have gone for the SD1, if ....

And finally, one important factor is price. The SD3 should be priced in a way that it reflects the quality you get, but still you must feel you are getting a good deal. And you don't do that now with a price tag of $ 2300. The main thing now for Sigma is to get in there and make room for itself in the market, moving from a fringe kitchen product into the living room so to speak. I see the Sony A99 is $ 2800 and the Nikon D600 is about the same. Slash the price down to well below $2000 and start selling. You'll be surprised!

PS Don't forget to iron out the wrinkles ....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow